

Yesterday was Hannah's first day of "Real School" (as she calls it) This has been a long time coming. We home schooled her in K, and it was challenging, but once she started to read it went a lot better. Calvin just sat on my lap and learned as she was learning. Then along came MiriLou...and educating Hannah with 2 younger siblings running around, watching TV, playing, eating...anything to get him out of our way/crying/diapering and feeding MiriLou...and BOOM, it was like a whole new Hannah appeared. She made it clear from the get go in August that she didn't want to learn! ANYTHING!! SO we fought and cried and yelled and gave up. In December we made the choice to put her in the public school system here. So on Jan 3rd we went and enrolled her. They conveniently placed her in an elementary very far away. So, we put in for a transfer and got it last Friday. Because Monday was a holiday, she started yesterday.
We went early and filled out the paper work, and met her teacher and saw where her desk was. There is no window in the room, which I think may be depressing at times, but she had the walls decked out nicely. Her teacher is very nice and seemed VERY happy. Then I took her back to the cafeteria and dropped her off. Car riders go to the cafeteria and wait in a designated spot with their class until the teacher comes to get them. She went and sat next to a "girl" Alex (she only had a boy Alex friend up to this point and thought it pretty funny that a girl was named Alex) Then the teacher came and they walked off together. She gave me a quick hug and took off, never looking back. I was pretty shocked. She had been very excited all weekend, but the closer it got to yesterday morning, the more nervous she was.
When I picked her up I wasn't sure what to expect. She was either going to be in shambles or had had a great day. The "car rider" pick up line was out of control. We were double stacked and it wrapped and weaved around the parking lot 2 times!!!! Needless to say, get there early!!!
Her first words when she got in the car where "Can I finish my lunch?" -There's my girl! Couldn't eat all her lunch...no surprise there:) The girl never eats anything and much less in under 20 minutes. BUT, she ended up eating the rest of her lunch and the granola bar I brought with me, then an hour later ate dinner and seconds(which she never does...mostly b/c picky Hannah doesn't like the food), then we went for ice cream, and then when we got home she ate a quesadilla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can we all say WOW together. She never eats that much, ever!
Her favorite subject they had yesterday was Spanish, even though she didn't know what they were saying. She will have it 3 times a week, so I guess she will pick it up quickly. She also enjoyed gym and meeting the other kids. She had such a great time that she asked me how soon she could go back. Every day! I do think I am going to have to move her bed time up 20 minutes though, b/c she seamed worn out and complained this morning of being tired.
All-in-All, God has blessed us beyond what we could have asked for!! Thanks to all of you who prayed for her on her first day. She really enjoys it and we are happy for her.
Also, a huge second praise...Dan has received enough online classes to pay for his school and her school next Fall. (she will be attending a local private school here)! More thanks to God for blessing us!!
*side note: The photos up top were taken Saturday...I tried to take them and pass them off for yesterday, but alas the silly monsoon that we had yesterday morning should be a dead give away that I really am a dorky mom:) O well. We had fun taking the picture Saturday and peeping in the windows. PLUS, I would have never taken the time to take pictures yesterday with ML,C and rain!
1 comment:
So glad to hear that things are going well. It sounds like a great decision for all of you. Hannah sounds so much like Katie in so many ways...you can pray for us as we try to figure out what education overseas is going to look like! Miss y'all!
Post a Comment